Atlanta Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
Fighting for Recovery on Behalf of the Injured
A spinal cord injury is a life-changing event. You will probably have concerns about how your injury may affect your lifestyle, your relationships, and your financial situation. Physical therapy and skilled medical assistance can help you take the next steps forward, but the medical costs can be overwhelming. If you or your loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury as the result of someone else’s negligence, the experienced Atlanta spinal cord injury attorneys at The Mabrey Firm are ready to help you.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injury
A spinal cord injury can be caused by an array of different reasons and is classified as traumatic or nontraumatic. A traumatic spinal cord injury occurs when your body suffers an abrupt and sudden hit to your spine, and one or more of your vertebrae are damaged, or your spinal cord is severed. Some of the most common causes of these injuries in the United States are:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – As the leading cause of spinal injuries, motor vehicle accidents account for more than 40% of new spinal cord injuries each year.
- Falls – 25% of spinal cord injuries occur from a fall, and are commonly caused by Nursing Home Negligence when the injury happens after 65 years of age.
- Acts of Violence – Gunshot and knife wounds that sever the spinal cord make up for 15% of the spinal cord injuries in the United States.
- Sports and Recreation Injuries – Impact sports and shallow water diving can lead to severe spinal damage, and roughly 8 percent of all spinal injuries are caused by sports or recreational pastimes.
Signs & Symptoms of Spinal Cord Injury
The symptoms of a spinal injury may not be immediately apparent after an accident. If you were recently involved in some type of accident, keep an eye out for the following:
- Weakness, lack of coordination, or paralysis in any part of your body
- Extreme back pain or pressure in your neck, head, or back
- Numbness, tingling or loss of sensation in your hands, fingers, feet or toes
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Difficulty with balance and walking
- Impaired breathing
Anyone who experiences significant head or neck trauma following an accident should seek immediate medical evaluation for the possibility of a spinal cord injury. In fact, treatment for a spinal cord injury should begin at the scene of the accident. The time between initial injury and medical treatment can be critical in determining the extent of complications and how to properly treat them.
We’re Here to Help You Down the Road to Recovery
Our goal at The Mabrey Firm is to help you return to an active, productive, and independent life by steadfastly pursuing full compensation for your spinal cord injury. Our Atlanta spinal cord injury lawyers are committed to helping you live your life to the fullest today.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of spinal cord injury caused by the negligence of another, contact The Mabrey Firm today for your free case evaluation.
We Are Here to Get You Through This Tough Time.
Free & Confidential Consultations
Top-Rated Lawyers as Selected by Peers & Clients
Proven Trial Experience & Knowledge About the Legal Field
Millions of Dollars Recovered in Favorable Settlements & Verdicts
Over Half a Century of Combined Legal Experience